Stephanie Gobbo, Naturopath and Nutritionist extraordinaire, spoke at my recent retreat in Melbourne and her insight into nutrition is both holistic and incredible. I spoke to Steph about the most valuable mid-year resolutions you can make, superfood smoothies and the one thing you need to know to help you stay 'well.'
1. What is the most common mid year resolution you hear from your clients?
Definitely weight loss or detoxing.
2. What is the mid year resolution you'd love everyone to try instead?
I would like all my clients to try practicing self care, instead of focusing on dieting. Whether that means putting more effort into fitness, cooking clean food, getting extra sleep, drinking more water, having a massage or doing something nurturing for their mental health. This all leads to weight loss and a healthier body and liver anyway!
3. What is the number one food people can try at this time of year to supercharge their health?
Berries aren't in season, but you can always buy them frozen. They are filled with anti-oxidants which help reduce free radicals in the body. They're a great thing to incorporate into your diet.
4. What are your top 5 favourite superfoods?
"My favourite superfoods that come from nature are: Blueberries, green tea, turmeric, chia seeds, acai berry"
5. What is the most common digestion-related issue you see? What is your one top tip for managing this?
The number 1 digestive symptom I see in clinic is bloating. The best advice I can give to work out why you are bloating and how to treat it is to investigate if it is because of these things:
1. something you're consistently eating that you’re intolerant to,
2. the way you’re digesting and breaking down your food or
3. because of dysbiosis of your gut microbiome
6. What is your favourite smoothie recipe?
My favourite smoothie recipe is filled with greens and mango:
1 mango cheek
1/2 frozen banana
1 handful of baby spinach
5-10 mint leaves
1/2 cucumber chopped
1 small knob of ginger
1 cup of coconut water
Blend well and serve.
7. What is your favourite indulgence?
My favourite indulgence is without a doubt a cheese platter and glass of red wine
8. If you had to give one piece of nutritional advice you wish everyone knew, what would it be?
"My number one piece of nutritional advice is to ensure your diet has variety."
This is imperative to feeding the gut microbiome and keeping it healthy along with ensuring your body is receiving all the nutrients it needs to function optimally.
"So many of us get set in our ways with eating the same things over and over. Trying to include new foods each day is really beneficial. Eating the colour of the rainbow each day is an old saying but definitely true."
9. What are some cooking tips to help us heading into the cooler Autumn and Winter months?
Now that the weather has cooled down it is best to steer away from raw foods/salad/smoothies and start to include more warming foods such as soups, curries, casseroles, herbal teas and warming herbs and spices in cooking. Using bone broth as a base for your winter hot dishes is a fantastic way to heal your gut day to day.
10. What foods help our immunity?
Ginger, Garlic, Turmeric, Onion, Shiitake mushrooms, Manuka honey, Bone broth, Oranges, Kiwis, Capsicum
Now you know all these handy hints for navigating Autumn and Winter, what will you change about your eating habits?
Naturopath & Nutritionist. Stephanie is a Naturopath and Nutritionist with a Bachelor of Health Science Degree majoring in Naturopathy. She practices out of the stunning Luxton Clinic in Armadale, Melbourne, Australia.